Barrier built around the sudden city besieged, satellite images show

0
461b14c0-8516-11f0-9cf6-cbf3e73ce2b9.jpg


A large earth wall is under construction around the Sudanese city besieged in El-Fasher and aims to trap people inside, according to research from the University of Yale.

Based on satellite images, the University’s humanitarian research laboratory has identified more than 31 km (19 miles) of “bermes” – because raised banks are known – built since May in territory outside the city occupied by the paramilitary forces of rapid support (RSF).

El-Fasher, under siege for more than a year, is the last major foot in Darfur for the army, which has been fighting against the RSF since April 2023.

Sudan Doctors Network told BBC that the RSF intensifies its offensive there and deliberately targeted civilians.

“Yesterday, there was a bombing in a civil area in the city center which ended up killing nearly 24 civilians and injuring 55 people, among the five women,” said Dr. Mohamed Faisal Hassan, of the doctors’ association, on the BBC Newsday program.

Attacks on the central market and a residential area were “deliberate” and “odious”, he said.

“Three days ago, they targeted one of the largest hospitals in El-Fasher and led to a massive massacre of patients and medical staff.”

BBC VERIFY says that the two parts of the conflict have used bearms as a defensive strategy.

But the analysis of Yale’s Humanitarian Research Lab (HRL), which closely monitored the conflict, suggests that the RSF “creates a literal killing box around El-Fasher”.

The HRL has drawn the construction of earth walls on a map of El-Fasher (above):

  • Green line: 9 km built between July 14 and 24, 2025 (satellite images show the village of Alsen in this section)
  • Yellow line: 6 km built between August 3 and 19, 2025
  • Blue line: 7 km built between May 5 to July 12, 2025
  • Red line: Currently 9 km with current construction between August 13 and 13, 2025.

The HRL report notes that the physical border deepens the siege conditions and the control of who and what can enter or leave the city, where around 300,000 people live.

Since the conflict broke out, the RSF fighters and the Arab militia allied with Darfur have been accused of having targeted people from non -Arab ethnic groups.

“Some civilians are trying to escape the city, but unfortunately, they are targeted and killed by RSF forces,” said Dr. Hassan.

The RSF previously denied charges for targeting civilians and performing ethnic cleaning.

Berms complicate things for civilians trying to flee or those who seek to bring food, drugs and other essential articles.

Humanitarian organizations have not been able to access El-Fasher for months and remaining civilians have endured constant bombing, food rarity and difficulties in accessing medical care.

Escaping for many is impossible.

“We have no money,” said Halima Hashim, 37, a teacher and mother of four, at the AFP press agency.

Staying behind was like a slow death, but “leaving is dangerous,” she said.

With the construction of the physical wall, the HRL report notes that the RSF also “determined the necessary tactical conditions” for the defeat of the division of the based army.

The fall of El-Fasher would mean that the RSF fully controls the western region of Darfur.

Observers warn that such a scenario could potentially lead to a partition of the country, because war forces have each appointed their own governments.

According to Yale’s HRL, the construction of the earth wall is in progress.

The researchers observed a 22 km bench, which formed a semicircle from the west to the north of the city.

Another about 9 km from the wall extended north and south of a high road to the east.

A segment of the berthone built by Alsen (illustrated in the above satellite images) seems to show that the majority of the village was destroyed between May 20 and July 6.

He also identified the damage caused by RSF bombings to a crucial water treatment installation near the airport, where the army is based.

Researchers think that the factory is still operational despite damage.

Adeeb Abdel Rahman Youssef, former governor of the central Darfur State, called on the United Nations Security Council to protect civilians from El-Fasher.

The ex-polician is currently working with people from the NGO with people, who are present in El-Fasher.

“The civilian population of El-Fasher pays the heaviest price. There is no one to protect them,” he told BBC World Service.

Additional report by WYCLIFFE MUIA of the BBC MUIA and Lucy Fleming.


https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/branded_news/114e/live/461b14c0-8516-11f0-9cf6-cbf3e73ce2b9.jpg

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *